Rumble: When you think of Venice: Gondola's and water

Ok, unraveling of the secret: we were in Venice last weekend. ;-)

San Marco, Venice

Matt, one of the readers of The Road, commented a while ago that my blog was listed in the "travel" category of one of the blog directories while it seems more like a political blog.

I agree that lately I have been posting more news flashes (often with a bit of political cynism, I admit). But in essence, this blog is neither one or the other... I write about things that happen around me. Sometimes I am in a critical mood, sometimes I am involved in my daily (aid) work environment, and sometimes I am travelling. So the contents of the posts change as my life changes. ;-) The next few posts will be about travelling. Promise!

So.. Venice... OK.. Here is a question for you. When hear "Venice", what do you think about? I bet the first thing would be "gondola's" and water. Rightfully so.
It is originally built on the mudflats, an archipelago of 118 islands formed by about 150 canals in a shallow lagoon. The islands are connected by about 400 bridges. In the old center, the canals serve the function of roads, and every form of transport is on water or on foot.

A photo impression:

Canal Grande: the city center's main waterway:
Canal Grande
Canal Grande
Canal Grande

Canal Grande can get really busy. Water buses, taxis, pleasure craft,
gondola's all zigzag-ing through eachother..
canal grande traffic

Not all canals are wide. Takes quite a skill to maneuver
in the narrow spaces and to round the corners...
canal
maneuvering

Or sometimes it is difficult just to get under a bridge:
Damned, this one is low!

That is why some of them disappear in the repairshop:
gondola warf

Often gondola's are nicely decorated
gondola closeup
gondola closeup

Gondola parking...
gondola on Canal Grande
gondala parking

Between the main islands, the waterways are wider,
but just as busy...
waterway between the islands

Even the city cemetery is only reachable by boat.
Venice cemetery

View the slideshow of all my Venice pictures

0 comments:

Post a Comment

To avoid spamming and profanity, comments will only show up after I (manually) clear them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Kind people supporting The Road to the Horizon:
Find out how you can sponsor The Road

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP